One-sample t-tests compare an observed mean to a hypothesized value in a given population
For instance, let's say researchers believe that the majority of households in the United States have at least two televisions. They collect a representative sample from the general population and find that on average there are four televisions. This difference of two televisions between what they expected (M = two televisions per household) and what the actual value (M = four televisions per household) may be statistically significant when using a one-sample t-test.
The most important part of using a one-sample t-test is to state the hypothesis for the expected mean value in an a priori fashion.
The steps for conducting a one-sample t-test in SPSS
2. Click Analyze.
3. Drag the cursor over the Compare Means drop-down menu.
4. Click One Sample T Test.
5. Click on the continuous outcome variable to highlight it.
6. Click on the arrow button to move the variable into the Test Variable(s): box.
7. In the Test Value: box, enter the a priori hypothesized mean value that researchers expect to occur.
8. Click OK.
The steps for interpreting the SPSS output for a one-sample t-test
2. In the One-Sample Test table, look under the Sig. (2-tailed) column for the p-value that is interpreted.
If the p-value is LESS THAN .05, then the observed mean is significantly different than what researchers hypothesized or expected.
If the p-value is MORE THAN .05, then the observed mean is NOT significant different that what researchers hypothesized or expected.
Statistician Services for Students
Eric Heidel, Ph.D. will provide the following services for undergraduate and graduate students at $50/hour. Secure checkout is available with Stripe or PayPal.
- Statistical Analysis
- Research Design
- Sample Size Calculations
- Diagnostic Testing and Epidemiological Calculations
- Survey Design and Psychometrics
AppNotch: Convert this website into an Android and iOS app.
AppNotch team will notify you when your app gets approved in Google Play and Apple iTunes App Stores. Once your app goes live, enter your App Store URLs in this property window, publish your Weebly site and your app store icons will be visible in this page.
Please visit AppNotch.com FAQ to learn more about how to add App Store icons to your website, update your app, send Push notifications and more.
Professional Statistician For Hire!
Copyright © 2017 Scalë. All Rights Reserved. Patent Pending.