"Just as good" treatment effects are established in non-inferiority trials
The margin of non-inferiority needs to be stipulated in an a priori fashion. The cut-point and margin both need to be identified a priori. After observations are collected, the means and standard deviations (continuous outcome) or the odds ratios with 95% confidence intervals (categorical outcome) are compared to the cut-point or population value and the margin of non-inferiority.
When to use non-inferiority trials
1. It is not ethically possible to conduct a placebo-controlled trial.
2. The experimental treatment is not expected to be better than the control treatment on a primary efficacy endpoint, but is better on secondary endpoints or is safer.
3. The experimental treatment is not expected to be better than the control treatment on a primary efficacy endpoint, but is cheaper to produce or easier to administer.
4. The experimental treatment is not expected to be better than the control treatment on a primary efficacy endpoint, but compliance to the treatment will be better.
Interpreting non-inferiority trial outcomes
So, if the upper limit of the confidence interval does NOT cross over the upper limit of the margin of equivalence, you CAN assume non-inferiority and your p-value will be LESS THAN .025.
However, if the upper limit of the confidence interval crosses over the upper limit of the margin of equivalence, you CANNOT assume non-inferiority and your p-value will be MORE THAN .025.
Click on the Non-Inferiority Trial Calculator button to download a free calculator for non-inferiority trials.
Statistician Services for Professionals
Eric Heidel, Ph.D. will provide the following services for researchers, professionals, and organizations at $100/hour. Secure checkout is available with Stripe or PayPal.
- Statistical Analysis
- Research Design
- Sample Size Calculations
- Diagnostic Testing and Epidemiological Calculations
- Survey Design and Psychometrics
AppNotch: Convert this website into an Android and iOS app.
AppNotch team will notify you when your app gets approved in Google Play and Apple iTunes App Stores. Once your app goes live, enter your App Store URLs in this property window, publish your Weebly site and your app store icons will be visible in this page.
Please visit AppNotch.com FAQ to learn more about how to add App Store icons to your website, update your app, send Push notifications and more.
Professional Statistician For Hire!
Copyright © 2017 Scalë. All Rights Reserved. Patent Pending.