Independent samples t-test
Compare two independent groups on a continuous outcome after meeting statistical assumptions
The steps for conducting an independent samples t-test in SPSS
2. Drag the cursor over the Compare Means drop-down menu.
3. Click on Independent-Samples T Test.
4. Click on the continuous outcome variable to highlight it.
5. Click on the arrow to move the outcome variable into the Test Variable(s): box.
6. Click on the "grouping" variable to highlight it.
7. Click on the arrow to move the "grouping" variable into the Grouping Variable: box.
8. Click on the Define Groups button.
9. Enter the categorical value for the first independent group into the Group 1: box. Example: "0"
10. Enter the categorical value for the second independent group into the Group 2: box. Example: "1"
12. Click Continue.
13. Click OK.
The steps for interpreting the SPSS output for an independent samples t-test
2. Under the t-test for Equality of Means column heading, look at the p-value under the Sig. (2-tailed) column.
If the p-value is LESS THAN .05, then researchers have a statistically significant difference between the two independent groups on the outcome.
If the p-value is MORE THAN .05, then researchers do NOT have a statistically significant difference between the two independent groups on the outcome.
3. Look back up at the Group Statistics table. The p-value must be interpreted within the context of your means and standard deviations. For example, one would say, "There was a statistically significant difference between 'Group 1' (Mean and standard deviation) and 'Group 2' (Mean and standard deviation), p = .01."
Statistician Services for Professionals
Eric Heidel, Ph.D. will provide the following services for researchers, professionals, and organizations at $100/hour. Secure checkout is available with Stripe or PayPal.
- Statistical Analysis
- Research Design
- Sample Size Calculations
- Diagnostic Testing and Epidemiological Calculations
- Survey Design and Psychometrics
AppNotch: Convert this website into an Android and iOS app.
AppNotch team will notify you when your app gets approved in Google Play and Apple iTunes App Stores. Once your app goes live, enter your App Store URLs in this property window, publish your Weebly site and your app store icons will be visible in this page.
Please visit AppNotch.com FAQ to learn more about how to add App Store icons to your website, update your app, send Push notifications and more.
Professional Statistician For Hire!
Copyright © 2018 Scalë. All Rights Reserved. Patent Pending.